Pangea Day Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 25, 2008
Pangea Day recognizes that visitors and users of the Pangea Day website www.pangeaday.org (collectively referred to as "Users" in this Privacy Notice) value their privacy. This Privacy Notice details important information regarding the use and disclosure of User information collected on the Pangea Day Website.
Pangea Day must reserve the right to amend the Privacy Notice at any time and without notice, and it is your responsibility to review the Privacy Notice on a regular basis for any changes. Pangea Day will update the "Last Updated" date above whenever a change is made to the Privacy Notice. Your use of the Pangea Day Website following any amendment of the Privacy Notice will signify your assent to and acceptance of the revised terms.
Please note that the posting or submission by you of any User Submissions (that is, any films you submit or any other communications by you on the Website, whether written, audio, or audiovisual) are considered to be published by you and are not considered personally identifiable information subject to this Privacy Notice.
If you do not agree to any of these terms, you should leave the Pangea Day Website immediately.
Our Commitment To Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, Pangea Day does not knowingly receive or maintain any User Submissions on the Pangea Day Website from anyone under 13 years of age.
If you are under 13 years of age and would like to submit a film, please have your legal guardian submit for you.
The Information Pangea Day Collects
- User Provided Information: You provide certain personally identifiable information (such as your name and email address) to Pangea Day whenever you choose to participate in an activity on the Pangea Day Website such as uploading films, posting messages in our forums or in the film comments section, entering contests or sweepstakes, taking advantage of promotions, responding to surveys, or subscribing to newsletters or other mailing lists.
- Cookies Information: When you visit the Pangea Day Website, we may send one or more cookies (a "cookie" is a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser. Pangea Day uses both "session cookies" and "persistent cookies."
- A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser help file directions. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the Pangea Day Website may not function properly if your computer's ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log File Information: When you use the Pangea Day Website, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. This information may include your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, browser language, referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- Clear GIFs Information: When you use the Pangea Day Website, we may employ "clear GIFs" (also known as "Web Beacons") which are used to track the online usage patterns of our Users anonymously -- that is, in a way that does not personally identify the User. In addition, we may also use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to Users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
The Way Pangea Day Uses Information
- If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the Pangea Day Website, then we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Website.
- Any personal information that you voluntarily disclose online via the Pangea Day Website (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, within your public profile page, etc.) becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. Your account name (but not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you upload films or send messages through the Website, and this enables other Users to contact you through messages and comments.
- Any films that you submit to the Pangea Day Website are equally publicly available. The films may also be redistributed through the Internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by the general public. If this is a concern, please mail your films to the following address:
c/o Pangea Day
55 Vandam St., 16th Floor
New York, NY
- We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages, except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt in or opt out in advance. We have the right, however, to use your email address without further consent for non-commercial, non-marketing purposes (such as to communicate with you or send you notices about Pangea Day or for customer service purposes).
- We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the Pangea Day Website. We may also use this information to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences and trends.
When Pangea Day Discloses Information
- We do not share your personally identifiable information (such as name or email address) with anyone for their commercial or marketing use without your consent (such as in specific programs or features for which you will have the ability to opt out).
- We do share non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with selected third parties to assist them in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, advertisements, promotions and functionality on the Pangea Day Website.
- We will release personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information where we believe we are required to do so by law, including if we receive a court order or a subpoena.
Your Choices About Privacy
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the Pangea Day Website, in which case Pangea Day may not be able to provide certain services to you.
You may update or correct your personal profile information and email preferences by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, your consent, or your opt-in or opt-out choices, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Our Commitment To Data Security
Pangea Day uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Pangea Day, and you do so at your own risk.
Once we receive your transmission of information, Pangea Day makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee. Despite our efforts, User Submissions may be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by a breach of any of our safeguards.
If Pangea Day learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Pangea Day may post a notice on the Pangea Day Website if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To register for written notice of security breaches, if any (or to withdraw consent you have previously given to receiving electronic notice), you should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Note to International Users
The Pangea Day Website is hosted in the United States. Consistent with conducting its activities on the Website pursuant to U.S. law, Pangea Day's Privacy Notice is intended to be governed by New York and U.S. law. By using the Pangea Day Website, you agree to be governed by New York and U.S. law relating to the matters stated in this Privacy Notice.
If you are a User accessing the Pangea Day Website from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing the collection, use and disclosure of personal data, those laws or regulations may differ from United States laws. All Users in places outside the United States are responsible for compliance with the local laws in effect where the Users are located.
Changes and updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically, and Pangea Day will use reasonable efforts to reflect any such change by updating the "effective date" above. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. Each time you use the Pangea Day Website, you understand that your use constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice in the revision in effect at the time of the use.
Please contact Pangea Day with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice by sending an email to email@example.com.